Can i play a DX8 Giants with a Radeon 9600? Please help...

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

SHRAiK
Kabuto's Playtoy

Can i play a DX8 Giants with a Radeon 9600? Please help...

Post by SHRAiK »

Hello guys.
Need i tell you how happy I was to find out such a magnificent site in the internet about one of my all-time favourite games. Thank you for doing what you do, it's really remarkable :!:
I have the following question to any of you willing to help:I bought an Ati Radeon 9600 card recently. Can i play the optimized DirectX8 version of Giants or only the original DX7?
Before the Radeon i owned an FX5200 and i patched it with the geforce3 optimization patch and it looked really great. Then i changed the card and Giants wouldn't want to run anymore. Actually all the saves didn't work and so on. But it might have been a driver collision or something, i formatted the hard put a new XP Pro and now i want to ask you if i can put the geforce3 patch over Giants and play it with Radeon 9600, or it will be a mistake?
I think it will be a mistake but i'm not sure, it may be just a patch adding directx 8 effects which should go fine on both platforms, but as i said i'm not sure. I don't want to try without knowing this cause if it doesn't work all my saves will go to hell one more time and i've almost finished the missions with Delphi.
So can you please give me an advice? What should i do? And if this patch is not compatible with ATI cards, is there somewhere in the internet another DX8 patch that actually is compatible?
Thank you very much in advance and may the force stay with you forever.
SHRAiK
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

it will probably work just fine, since the patch just adds other effects, but no driver alter--- ugh what am i talking about, i dont know anything about this :D
SHRAiK
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by SHRAiK »

Well 10x for the effort anyway man :!:
But i think i'll wait for another opinion, just in case, you know :lol:
GibLit
Staff
Staff

Post by GibLit »

I wouldn't know the answer either, but what you could do is install the patch anyway, but copy your save games to a disk, or another folder out of your Giants directory. You can test it then, and if it doesn't work, there's a DirectX9 patch available at microsoft, just incase you didn't know. If none of those work, simply uninstall the GF3 patch, and I guess you'll have to play with the game's normal non-enhanced graphics.
SHRAiK
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by SHRAiK »

Hmm, to keep the save games just in case is an idea really, it's really ludicrous i haven't thought about it myself. So 10x.
But otherwise i don't think that once you've installed the geforce3 patch, you can remove it later. I don't remember exactly whether it later appeared in the control menu list of Add/Remove Programs (so you can remove it from there ) but i think it didn't.
So the only thing we have up to now is keep my save games somewhere else, try the patch, and if it doesn't work uninstall Giants and install it again later and put again the old saves so you can play the non-enhanced version-man that sucks. I hope this patch really works on the Radeon.
If any of you guys thinks of something else, or knows for sure whether the patch works wit an ATI card (or whether there is a patch that works with those cards) please share it with us. Thanks Again.
GibLit i'm with DX 9.0b :wink:
STEELIX
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by STEELIX »

the uninstall file for the geforce3 patch is in the main giants directory after you installed it. (weee i know something!! :P)
I don't think the patch is, like only for geforce cards, it just adds better graphics that, for example the geforce ALSO supports ;)
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

Hercules 3D Prophet ATI/Radeon 9600 256MB...
I have no problem with that card and this game
but I have problems with my sound card ^_^
If you start single player mission with a name lets say A
you cant (I think) use the saved files for a new name like B
(not really sure about that)
You should always have the newest dx
whats wrong with the newest?
My 9600 card came with the dx 9.0 drivers.