Trying to Re-install Giants proves impossible

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

lindstrj
Kabuto's Playtoy

Trying to Re-install Giants proves impossible

Post by lindstrj »

Hi, all...an interesting problem here, and an OLD one which I've encountered before:

I UNinstalled giants from my machine a few years ago because 1) I wanted to try other games and needed the hard drive space for them and 2) figured reinstalling Giants would be easy. Not so. Any attempt to REinstall the game, after having installed it once and uninstalling it, makes the game continually skip over any attempt to reinstall it and cut to the "Uninstall game and all components?" window...over...and over...and over...

>__<

Needless to say, this is annoying beyond all belief. I've gone in and manually deleted all the registry keys for the game, both Interplay AND Planet Moon, run Registry mechanic to clean up any remaining residue, restarted the machine...and...nada. Giants takes revenge for any uninstallation of itself by NEVER LETTING ME REINSTALL IT, EVER, EVER AGAIN. Blargh.

This happened to me on my Win98 machine years ago, and I never was able to reinstall it on THAT machine, either. My current machine is running XP-Pro, and I THOUGHT the newer system might have removed any chance for this glitch to reoccur...hah, what a fool I was. Any ideas, insights or previous experience regarding this annoying-beyond-all-belief glitch, folks? I'd appreciate it, as I'm LONG overdue to replay this great classic of gaming.

lindstrj
Stackhouse
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Stackhouse »

Interesting... I'm sorry I can't help, but please do post the solution when it's found. I'm sure others will come across the same error, in time.
HellSnake
Evil Smartie Genious

Re: Trying to Re-install Giants proves impossible

Post by HellSnake »

lindstrj wrote:Hi, all...an interesting problem here, and an OLD one which I've encountered before:

I UNinstalled giants from my machine a few years ago because 1) I wanted to try other games and needed the hard drive space for them and 2) figured reinstalling Giants would be easy. Not so. Any attempt to REinstall the game, after having installed it once and uninstalling it, makes the game continually skip over any attempt to reinstall it and cut to the "Uninstall game and all components?" window...over...and over...and over...

>__<

Needless to say, this is annoying beyond all belief. I've gone in and manually deleted all the registry keys for the game, both Interplay AND Planet Moon, run Registry mechanic to clean up any remaining residue, restarted the machine...and...nada. Giants takes revenge for any uninstallation of itself by NEVER LETTING ME REINSTALL IT, EVER, EVER AGAIN. Blargh.

This happened to me on my Win98 machine years ago, and I never was able to reinstall it on THAT machine, either. My current machine is running XP-Pro, and I THOUGHT the newer system might have removed any chance for this glitch to reoccur...hah, what a fool I was. Any ideas, insights or previous experience regarding this annoying-beyond-all-belief glitch, folks? I'd appreciate it, as I'm LONG overdue to replay this great classic of gaming.

lindstrj
hmm, happend to me once, but i fixed it in no-time, don't know how though :S have you tried to run a program like ccleaner and removing the install thingy? and you deleted the "C:\program files\giants" folder and removed all giants registry stuff? cause if that doesn't fix the problem, i don't know what will.
Xentek
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Xentek »

Although I have no idea as to how you can fix your installation problem:
What you could do is install it on another machine, put the entire folder on a flash drive (it's about 1.2GB) and copy it back onto your own machine.

So yeah, not a fix; but it will allow you to play.