PC vs Unix

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

PC vs Unix

Post by RichardMH »

I've started studying at an university and one of the assignments is to find problems in how the company is designed (a made up company). If it said they had like Windows 98, with or without updates, than it would be something I could spot. I have a problem finding anything bad with the fallowing, I dont use Unix or the OS of the choice so it doesnt "speak" to me:

The company has network containing of both Servers, PC and Unix computers, with the fallowing OS; Windows 2003, Windows XP SP3 and Sun Solaris 10. ... People that are using CAD to draw they are both using PC and Unix computers. ... Office 2003 are being used, Outlook as e-mail client and ExchangeServer as the hub of the e-mails. ...

Any ideas?
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

You need to post the question word for word - what you posted is confusing.

Office, Exchange Server and Outlook would all be handled by the Windows computers. As for the CAD stuff, it depends on what program they're using... AutoCAD is only supported by Windows, and is the most widely used as far as I know... so if they had to use another program only for the UNIX computers it would likely end up costing them a lot more in licensing fees than if they just used one program exclusively I'd think, and since everything else is handled on the Windows computers it'd make more sense to use a Windows program.

There are UNIX CAD programs that support Windows as well though...

One other potential thing is that Windows is more user-friendly and of course widely used... the people using CAD type software are most likely engineers and architects I'd say, which would probably require additional training to use the UNIX computers for the CAD programs as they may have never even heard of it.
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

ok, now I have alittle more time and no children running around.

Its not much of a question, but more of a description of how the company have setup their computer system:

Företagen har ett internt nätverk bestående av flera Windows 2003 servrar med SP 2 och 90 PC (både stationära och bärbara) och 10 Unixdatorer. PC har Windows XP SP3. Unixdatorerna använder Sun Solaris 10.
English: The company network contains of many Windows 2003 servers with SP2. 90 PC computers (both stationary and laptops) and 10 Unix computers. The PC computers are using Windows XP with SP3. The Unix computers are using Sun Solaris 10.

15 anställda av tillverkningspersonalen använder CAD/CAM för att göra ritningar. De använder både PC och Unix-datorer. Ritningarna överförs sedan till CAM-systemet för tillverkningen.
English: 15 employees of the development department are using CAD/CAM to do the blueprints. They use both PC and Unix computers. The blueprints are then transfered to the CAM-system for production.

Since I know squat about what happens if you move a file between different OSes. What could happen if I move a file that was created under windows to solaris? Nothing happens? Like a bmp, avi, CAD file etc?
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

Are you supposed to look for problems or design flaws?
RichardMH
Tel the Obnoxious

Post by RichardMH »

Design flaws of how the company has been setup or are being run..