Framerate Issue

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

Mr.Brightside
Kabuto's Playtoy

Framerate Issue

Post by Mr.Brightside »

Hi guys, I'm posting this thread due to the poor performance the game gives, when I play - it plays with like 60-100 frames normally, but at times it suddenly drops to like 20-15 and it makes it pretty unplayable... I noticed that this happens when I face the whole map and tried turning all graphic options to minimum, but the problem still persists - it just makes the frames from 15 to 20 or so. My pc seems to pretty much cover the req's - it ain't stg new, but for Giants it must be enough - it is AMD Sempron 2600+, with 1 gig RAM and the video is Radeon Sapphire HD 3650 512 ddr3. I will appreciate any help for this issue... Ah, i also use windows XP pro and guess the latest drivers... I have 1.4patch only - nothing else added to the game.Here are screens ;(: OK New sh** - i installed patch 1.49 and textures got fucked up. Hope i find a solution in the forum.... if u got one -please save me some time and nerves Image Image[/img]
Giants_Gamer32
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Giants_Gamer32 »

^ about the textures, the 1.47 patch disables the GRM (textures, weather...).
Mr.Brightside
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Mr.Brightside »

10x, i installed GRM and Giants Hook and managed to fix the texture problem withdisabling the landscape mapping from the game options, but still got one issue - the framerate, which is slightly improved but still drops at places to like 30... and also it kicks everyone who joins my game - why? i also get kicked from other games
I CONSTANTLY GET "YOU WERE REMOVED FROM THE GAME" - WHY? I'm with 1.497 patch and stuff WHY???
Giants Freak
Sappho's Henchman

Post by Giants Freak »

Yeah, just today u got kicked in my server but i didnt do it?

kinda weird
Mr.Brightside
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Mr.Brightside »

I figured it out - it was due to Giants Hook's anticheat sh**... I reinstalled everything .. and didnt install Giants Hook and now its ok i can play - but still got the FPS problem - even more severe now - Giants Hook could regulate pretty much the FPS and improved it - without hook now it sux again - it drops to 15 sometimes...
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

It's your CPU's bottleneck. AM D sempron is only single core cpu, which bottlenecks with your radeon 3650. And besides, Giants is more of a CPU base than a GPU base (means better CPU = better stability, better GPU = higher FPS cap). A lot of older games including Giants are more based on CPU power.

There isn't much you can do about it unless you try to overclock your CPU (which will help a little tiny bit) or buy a new motherboard with a more advanced/updated CPU socket. And I'm guessing your GPU (Radeon 3650) is an AGP x8 card, ad getting a new motherboard will most likely have a PCI-Express x16, so keep in mind about a new GPU as well.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Your video card is more than adequate, but your CPU is not. Your framerate is unusually low even given that however, so try shutting down any background processes that you don't need or anything else that might be taking up CPU time.

Reducing the model detail and view distance settings in game will do more to help your framerate than anything else. Model detail defaults to very high in 1.497 which will be harder on your CPU than the highest settings that were available in 1.4, so you should definitely lower that.
Mr.Brightside wrote:10x, i installed GRM and Giants Hook and managed to fix the texture problem withdisabling the landscape mapping from the game options, but still got one issue - the framerate, which is slightly improved but still drops at places to like 30... and also it kicks everyone who joins my game - why? i also get kicked from other games
I CONSTANTLY GET "YOU WERE REMOVED FROM THE GAME" - WHY? I'm with 1.497 patch and stuff WHY???
GRM and GiantsHook are not compatible with version 1.497 (note the warning about that on the downloads page). Looks like you installed GiantsHook after 1.497 and were getting kicked because the modifications that GiantsHook makes to the game were being picked up as cheats. I'll see what I can do about preventing the GiantsHook installer from working on anything other than version 1.4 of the game.
Exploderman wrote:AM D sempron is only single core cpu...
Giants does not benefit from multiple CPU cores. The issue here is more the poor performance of his CPU due to the lower clock speeds and reduced cache size of the Semprons.
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

I think it's worth mentioning that ATI's newer drivers might hate Giants. I had an x1650pro about two years ago for a while, and the game ran at about 15-20 fps no matter what (worse than an nvidia gf4 mx which is about the same as a gf2.) I couldn't use drivers I had used for a 9700pro about a year prior to that (which ran the game at like 80-100fps, even though it's technically worse than the x1650pro) because they didn't support the newer card. With the 9700 I had other problems though, I think my fps would drop to about 10 if I ever entered zoom mode until I disabled landscape bumpmapping...

However, I haven't had any issues with nvidia cards and Giants.
Mr.Brightside
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Mr.Brightside »

10x for the advices, eventually i reinstalled the game with only the patches and its all ok now, except for the initial framerate drops, which are sort of annoying... And dude, Radeon 3650 is a PCI-express card, my motherboard aint that old lol xD i guess i will need to do stg about my cpu, 10x tho
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

Mr.Brightside wrote:And dude, Radeon 3650 is a PCI-express card, my motherboard aint that old lol xD i guess i will need to do stg about my cpu, 10x tho
I currently have a Radeon 3850 AGP 8x that gets bottlenecked by my CPU, which is an AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.2 GHz. And I only assumed that your 3650 was an AGP 8x because I looked up some CPU specs on yours and couldn't find any possible upgrades for that CPU socket type, unless you want to use e-bay.

And btw, they were still making/producing/selling AGP motherboards when they started making/producing/selling PCI-Express motherboard (company brands like e-Machine, HP, Gateway etc.), all within the same 2-years (2003 - 2005).
Devilinhell
Yan the Pimp

Post by Devilinhell »

Possible background scanning maybe?..