Can't play Giants

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Can't play Giants

Post by Salazar »

I recently got a new computer, and I downloaded Giants, and I was able to play online.

The 2nd time I tried, I got as far as [Loading Textures] and then it crashed, and said Giants.eve has experienced a problem.

I uninstalled and installed Giants again. I also installed Patch 1.4, Red Blood Converter, GMM, MapPack, and the new GPatch1497F

I didn't download Version 1.1 because I didn't think it was needed.

It may or may not be an issue, but in my Bin folder, there was no Override folder, so I made one.

This is what my Giants Folder looks like:

If I choose to uninstall Giants again, can someone list the necessary downloads needed to play again? (1.4, gpatch, ect.) It's been a while.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

You do not need to install any of the things you listed aside from 1.497F -- they are all either already included with patch 1.497 or unnecessary (GMM is no longer needed to play custom maps). 1.497 includes improved versions of several of the higher quality maps in the map pack, though not all of them.

If the game worked for you previously, I'd do a clean reinstall (uninstall from add/remove, then delete the Giants folder) and only install patch 1.497. If it continues to crash, post your errorlog.txt in this thread.
arruiaweb
Sappho's Henchman

Post by arruiaweb »

how things in this folder :shock:
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

I uninstalled Giants, then installed.

I downloaded 1.497F, and installed to the Giants Folder.

I tried to play, and I got as far as [Loading Textures] before it crashed again, and said Giants.exe cannot run :/
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Then as I said, you will need to post your errorlog.txt in the thread I linked to (read the first post for instructions on how to do so). No one will be able to help you otherwise.
Last edited by Tasiin on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dietofeelalive
Yan the Pimp

Post by dietofeelalive »

Yo salazar, These things are usually because of new operating system, Graphics driver, or DirectX version. Try changing your graphics driver, if you downloaded the latest driver go and find an older one and try that.

Thats what i needed to do to make keep my giants from crashing. Hope this helps.
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

dietofeelalive wrote:Yo salazar, These things are usually because of new operating system, Graphics driver, or DirectX version. Try changing your graphics driver, if you downloaded the latest driver go and find an older one and try that.

Thats what i needed to do to make keep my giants from crashing. Hope this helps.

Well yeah, I just got a new computer. It's still XP, though