Generic Application Error

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

Sankis
Kabuto's Playtoy

Generic Application Error

Post by Sankis »

I recently reinstalled Giants to play again. I can load the game up (haven't tried playing yet) with just Giants with the 1.4 patch. However, I want to play some multiplayer with a friend. I install the Gianthook program after patching and installing a fresh copy of the game. After doing so, I am unable to launch the game. I recieve a "Generic Application Error" on start up and then a "This operation must be closed" error message. At first i thought this might be a DX8 issue since the target of the error is the dx8 .dll so I reinstalled the game and installed Gianthook without the DX8 renderer. After reinstalling and installing gianthook without the dx8 portion I receive the same error, only this time the target of the error is the dx7 .dll.

Computer specs:

Nvidia 7600 GT AGP
3200+ A64
1 GB RAM
Windows XP
Drivers up to date
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Not totally sure what that might be. Some of the more recent Nvidia cards have issues with the game unless the DX8 renderer is installed, but it seems as if you can't use that either. Could you click "more info" in the crash dialog box and give me the offset and module name that the crash occurred at?

Aside from that, the only thing I can think to suggest is to try different ForceWare drivers for your video card. I'm able to play the game just fine with a 7800 GTX and both the DX7 and DX8 renderers with the 169.21 drivers.