GIANTS HOOK- I'm not so sure about it...

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

Is Giants hook worth it?

yes
83%
no
8%
maybe
8%

Total votes: 12

will_the_nerd@hotmail.com
Kabuto's Playtoy

GIANTS HOOK- I'm not so sure about it...

Post by will_the_nerd@hotmail.com »

Hey everyone, I just got giantshook to work... thing is, I'm not sure its worth the trouble.

Oh, the bug fixes are good and all, but I just can't stand the new textures on the buildings (e.g., mecc stone walls now look TERRIBLE compared to how they used to, in my humble opinion). IF there was some way to revert back to the normal textures, that'd be great, and I'm sure there is, but... hey, you said you wanted feedback. Could one of you please tell me how to fix 'em?

P.S.: How could you remove the "Giftshop" sign!?

lol, thanks
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

You are aware that GiantsHook doesn't change any textures, right? That's GRM. As for removing GRM, the GRM readme contains instructions on how to go about removing it - if you didn't read it prior to installing GRM, you'll have to simply reinstall Giants.
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Re: GIANTS HOOK- I'm not so sure about it...

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

GiantsHook fixes nearly every major problem multiplayer in Giants had, it also forces -highbandwidth so that players move smoother and lag less (but hey you wouldn't realize that anyways since you ping 400 to every server anyone actually plays on.) It also has anti-cheat, what the fu** else do you want and why would you think it's not worth using even if GRM were required? It's better than a patch 1.5 would have been if PM ever released one.

If you don't like GRM, don't use it.
will_the_nerd@hotmail.com wrote:mecc stone walls now look TERRIBLE compared to how they used to
ya I hate them too, but the mapping on that model is complete sh** so nothing will ever look good.

Aside from the mecc wall and roof texture, water and gyro skin I thought GRM looked fairly nice. What don't you like about the other textures? Do they not resemble the originals enough or you just don't like them at all?
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

GiantsHook is separate from GRM, and makes no changes to the game's textures. I'd love to hear a convincing argument from anyone as to why you should not use GiantsHook, as every single change to the game that it makes that could be potentially unwanted is optional, and the default configuration does little else other than fix bugs.

The only connection that GiantsHook has with GRM are a few extra graphical options that can be enabled if you have GRM installed, but GRM is not required to use it. If you do not like the new textures in GRM, remove it.
giantman
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by giantman »

I'll add my vouch for giantshook. See my topic on getting giants working on an x1900xtx. I either have the option of playing giants out of the box or playing it patched with giantshook as well. Official patches 1.1 and 1.4 completely trashed the graphics and it was only by installing both grm and giantshook, in that order, that I was able to get it to look normal again.

Awesome work guys. Truly awesome work.
Kabuto's Playtoy

sh**... my bad... didn't realise that only GRM changed the textures, not giants hook... that said, I guess that its completely worth it (hehe...sorry)
My god damn antivirus is so completely sh** that I had to turn it off completely before it would let me install giants hook, I guess I was just pissed off that it took so bloody long to get the thing to work, and I thought GHook caused the texture changes. hehe... oops.

thanks
Kabuto's Playtoy

Re: GIANTS HOOK- I'm not so sure about it...

[NEO]Vortex wrote:but hey you wouldn't realize that anyways since you ping 400 to every server anyone actually plays on
How do you know?

Um... sorry?

Oh, btw, I agree that some of the GRM texture changes are a good thing, so why not just delete some things from the override file?

for example, the clue smartie robes. I deleted those, now they're yellow again. Mind you... the changes to the buildings and gyro's aren't in the override file, I don't think, so this obviously isn't the whole answer tot he problem.
[NEO]Vortex
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by [NEO]Vortex »

I know you're puglin since you posted about that problem you had with Giants after I asked you to. :P

And uh, I don't think GRM puts anything in your override folder. If you have a blue smartie robe texture in it, it's from something else.
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

ummm... yeeaaaa... THATS NOT PUGLIN

i just got giantshook and it fixed my problem
Last edited by Puglin. on Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kabuto's Playtoy

WTF? No this is NOT PUGLIN.

Who is puglin anyway? Is it that guy or is he just imitating somebody?!?

Btw, I'm WILL
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

...wat kind of an idiot has his email for his username? that is just a bad idea. sorry, but its true.

btw, IM puglin, i dont IMITATE anybody called puglin

Vortex, i had to make this acount just to prove u wrong... GIANTS HOOK FTW
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Users posting from this IP address
will_the_nerd@hotmail.com [ 14 Posts ] Search
Puglin. [ 2 Posts ]
Puglin.
Yan the Pimp

Post by Puglin. »

lol omg cantu take a joke
Salazar
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by Salazar »

What was the point of making a 2nd account? :?
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

I guess puglin/will just doesn't want to admit defeat that someone knew who he was. Stupid really.......