Game Crashes When I Start Playing...

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

Snaily
Kabuto's Playtoy

Game Crashes When I Start Playing...

Post by Snaily »

Hey peeps, lil problem here just put a new rig togethor, some failrey new parts (not top of the range stuff, but newish). Anyway i installed Giants fine, no worrys, and evreything seems farley fine untill iload a game up- either host it, join it or single player. Then it simply crashes!
No error message or anything just seems to give up, now i am having problems with this monitor but im getting a new one on thursday. Anyway, problems with the monitor wouldant make giants crash, would it?

Please tell me it would- it would make me happy :) i'll update on thursday as to wether a new monitor makes a diffrence, allthough i dout it will.
My graphics card is a NIVIDA GeForce 8500 GT

Cheers guys, will be gratefull for all helps :D
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Re: Game Crashes When I Start Playing...

Post by Tasiin »

Snaily wrote:Anyway, problems with the monitor wouldant make giants crash, would it?
Uh, no.
Snaily
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Snaily »

Alas, it seems i am going to be facing hardware problems then, all i can ask now is, what could the problem possibly be? As far am aware, i have no missing files ect, maybe my graphics card isn't compatible? I just simply don't understand, because i can never seem to get single player running (it ALWAYS crashes on movies) but earlier today i had a wild shot at the dedicated server and managed to play it for about 2 muinites! right afterwards i loaded it back up but it crashed! Very strange :(
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

No idea. Only things I can suggest are the usual solutions: reinstall Giants, video drivers, chipset drivers, sound card drivers, and failing that -- reinstall Windows if you're desperate.

If you're getting an error report when it crashes (the generic "This program has encountered a problem and needs to close" message box), click on more info and tell me the offset and module name that it supplies.
Snaily
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Snaily »

No worrys guys, it's all fixed, thanks to exploderman, all my thanks go to you mate, i owe ya :)
Wckdneer
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Wckdneer »

I also have this problem, and i have no idea how to fix it. How did you fix it snaily? Or can Exploderman tell me as well?
Its really annoying me as me and some friends finally all got the game and want to play together.

Thanks in advance, really desperate.
Snaily
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Snaily »

Hey! what exploderman did is, he sent me four .dlls and told me to replace them with the ones in the giants folder. I've uploaded them to mega upload, and heres the links

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SVOV9T4H
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CB25BOZ7
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=36Z2UJ0I
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q39CHHHG

Simply move them to the main giants folder (proborly C:\Program Files\Giants) and it'll ask you if you'd like to replace the files, click "yes to all" and boot giants up. That should fix it!
Tell us how it turns out :)

Oh yeh, incase you don't know how to use megaupload, type in the image verification and you'll be took to a page were it says: Premium:Free under free there'll be a timer saying "wait -" once thats gone down to zero, simply click download :)
Wckdneer
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Wckdneer »

Ok, im downloading them now. Ill edit this post to let you know wether or not it worked.
Thanks for the efford you did for me :) I appriciate it.

EDIT 1-
Well one of the files, the dx8.dll i didn't even have :P so that might be it, checking it right now.
EDIT 2-
Thanks alot! It worked, ahh many many thanks, now i can play this awesome game again! :D Happyness!
Snaily
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Snaily »

Grerat to know it worked for you mate, enjoy the giants life :wink:
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

8)

Your welcome Snailyz and everyone else who had this problem solved.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

eaxman.dll isn't even used by Giants normally, to my knowledge. It might be with the EAX version, but definitely not with the standard version.

I'm guessing it was gg_dx8r.dll (the DirectX8 renderer for Giants) that fixed it for you. That's not part of the standard version of Giants. If you want to get the most out of the DX8 renderer, you may want to extract the files in this .zip on my FTP to your Giants directory: ftp://dedicated.no-ip.org/gf3.zip

That .zip has both the DX8 renderer and the pixel and vertex shader assembly files that add some new graphical effects (water reflections, smoother shadows and landscape) that you probably do not have.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

If you have a creative card, from time to time the gs_ds.dll and eaxman.dll changes some how. You can tell the difference by the file sizes in the cd and what you currently have in the folder.

Simply replacing them seems to fix the problem as Snaily said. I'm not sure if the DirectX8 renderer fixes it, but you can test it by removing the gg_dx8r.dll from the giants folder and use the gg_dx7r.dll instead.