Voiceover missing

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

Koyotsa
Kabuto's Playtoy

Voiceover missing

Post by Koyotsa »

I recently downloaded the version of Giants from this website when I discovered my CDs missing. I had tried the game before before but due to the fact that my computer just couldn't handle it I gave up. I recently got a craving and decided to give it another shot.

After insalling and following the instructions I loaded up the game and loaded into the first mission. Now unless I remember incorrectly there was some pretty funny voice-acting in the game, I get all the standard sound effects and music, just no voices. I suppose I can live without but this just seems like I'm missing an audio codec or a volume is muted or somehow the files themselves are missing (would that cause an exception error?) somewhere however I'm not really all that driver/computer tec inclined.

If anyone could give this a think through I'd appriciate it quite a bit, if this is somewhere on the boards already I'm sorry, I looked and must have missed it. Thanks in Advance!

Version I used: Link

Technical Info:
Processor: AMD Athalon 2500 (1.8ghtz)
Sound: Envy24 Family Audio
Ram: 1024mb (1 gig) 2x512 in dual channel
Motherboard: Asus A7N8X (onboard audio which has been disabled, couldn't handle the depth of audio I wanted)

I figure it's some sort of error or dated sound trying to draw resources from DX9.0c or the card I'm using?

*Edit:
I tried my Platonics headset (it has an external sound cardbuilt in). I also changed all of the settings windows sound settings before loading into the game to route through the headset only, the problem persisted.

I forgot to mention I patched up to 1.4 before hitting it with the no CD patch. I used the one supplied
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Are you saying you downloaded (one of the less than legal copies of) Giants that have been linked in several threads here? Check to see if there's anything in your Stream and StreamEnglish directories in the game folder -- if they're empty, that's why. You'll need to find a legal copy of the game or obtain the speech files somehow.
DarkFalcoZ
Reg the Smooth Operator

Post by DarkFalcoZ »

If your talking about the download I made I know what the problem is. Someone came to me about this before and I thought it was an issue with his drivers or compatability.

But it was my mistake, in a rush to get it uploaded by the start of 07, I think I made a spelling error in one of the main folders with a space :(. It's an easy fix, just rename the "Stream English" folder to "StreamEnglish".

I'm sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused you. I've been meaning to take that file down and update it, but I never got around to it.
Exploderman
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by Exploderman »

DarkFalcoZ wrote:If your talking about the download I made I know what the problem is. Someone came to me about this before and I thought it was an issue with his drivers or compatability.

But it was my mistake, in a rush to get it uploaded by the start of 07, I think I made a spelling error in one of the main folders with a space :(. It's an easy fix, just rename the "Stream English" folder to "StreamEnglish".

I'm sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused you. I've been meaning to take that file down and update it, but I never got around to it.
But I will! :)
Koyotsa
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Koyotsa »

DarkFalcoZ wrote:If your talking about the download I made I know what the problem is. Someone came to me about this before and I thought it was an issue with his drivers or compatability.

I was just happy to find a copy since the game box does me little good. The help is much appriciated