Horrible FPS, and my comp exceeds this games requirements...

Ask questions that relate to hardware / software issues.

Moderator: Staff

Siphon
Kabuto's Playtoy

Horrible FPS, and my comp exceeds this games requirements...

Post by Siphon »

When i run it in safe mode, it runs perfectly, no problems whatsoever.

However when i try to run it normally the game has such a low fps that i cant even play it.

Here is my DXDIAG
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/2299/dxdiag9tq.jpg

and my video card is Radeon 9800 Pro [GATEWAY VX900].

I have even tried setting resolution to 640x480 and turning all graphic settings in game to off or lowest possible amount.

No matter what i do (except running in safe mode) my fps is so low that the game is impossible to play.
SSJBardock
Evil Smartie Genious

Post by SSJBardock »

ATI cards have a sucky framerate on giants, it should be playable though.
I have a radeon 9800 pro too and I play around 50 fps until too many players show up
Siphon
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Siphon »

but how do u even make your game work? mine is unplayable (right now im trying to do single player)
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Your computer does indeed exceed the minimum requirements and the game should be playable, but keep in mind that you do have two factors working against you here. First, as Bardock said, ATI cards tend to look and perform a little worse than equivalent nVidia ones in Giants. Secondly, Giants is a rather old game now, and as such it tends to rely much more heavily on raw CPU power than video card power, and that 1 GHz processor is going to slow things down considerably.

That being said though, you should still being able to attain playable framerates -- just don't expect miracles once you do get it working. I would suggest downloading Ad-aware or any other spyware removal utility and doing a scan, and perhaps a virus scan as well. Make sure to use MSConfig to disable any programs you don't absolutely need as well, since something is clearly interfering with Giants.

I would also look for the latest drivers for your Radeon 9800 from http://www.ati.com and for the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. Make sure that Giants is patched to 1.4 as well, since significant improvements were made to the renderer's performance in that patch over 1.0's.
Siphon
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Siphon »

is there a way to turn off anti-aliasing through giants? that may speed it up
or is there a way to run it in safe mode, but enable sound? That would work perfectly
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

No, if you have anti-aliasing set to Application Preference in your control panel it'll already be off.
Siphon wrote: or is there a way to run it in safe mode, but enable sound? That would work perfectly
No.
Siphon
Kabuto's Playtoy

Post by Siphon »

I was trying figure out why my computer would have so many problems with it, so i was experimenting.

I was trying to figure out why safe mode worked fine and normal did not, so i did everything i could think about.

I eventually got down to disabling 3d acceleration on sound (i had no idea why this would make a difference, but i was desperate)

My frame rate shot up, i dont know how to tell what my frame rate is within giants, but i can tell you it went from 1-6 to like 40+.

Just giving everyone a heads up, so if anyone is having the same problem as i was, thats a good way to solve it!
Zopharks
Administrator

Post by Zopharks »

To check your framerate, hit T to bring up the chat box and type in fr.
Tasiin
Staff
Staff

Post by Tasiin »

Looks like it was your sound card then. Do you know what it is and whether it's an integrated chip or not? I'm guessing it is if you're having problems with Giants. You might be better off picking up a cheap Soundblaster card for $20 or so to fix this and prevent problems like this in the future. Lowering the audio hardware acceleration will most likely either cause the audio to lag behind what's actually happening onscreen, or other strange stuff.
|AFTA|Yankee
Lord of the Vimps

Post by |AFTA|Yankee »

Yes, my GIANTS didn't even work until i purchased a soundblaster live, even tho I have a good system (in my opinion,and in others).